CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What Does Concession's Have to Do With Education?


I know that many of you are probably thinking "who cares about concession work... it has nothing to do with education"... I must admit, it might seem that way, but I am here to tell you, it has a lot.

As I said before, in my previous blog, concession work allowed me to be a person that is not shy and doesn't care to stand out in a crowd. That made me want to follow my dream of being a teacher. Before I started working, I had wanted to be a teacher, but the thought was totally out of the question, because I was so shy. I couldn't imagine getting in front of people, let alone teaching people. So... that is one way concessions work has helped me!

Another way it has helped me is that it has allowed me to become a leader. Since I have been there for 5 years now, I am basically the queen of the castle at "Ryan's Concessions". What I say goes. I am in charge. I train people, manage them, and keep the trailer running smoothly. This has allowed me to think in terms of fairness to be people that are working for me, as my prospective students would eventually. It made me want even more to be the leader I feel like I am capable of being.

See, concessions work does have educational relevance. It allowed me to make decisons about the person that I wanted to be, and allowed me to follow my dreams.

2 comments:

Andrew Ralstin said...

I'd say thats true of almost all work that involves customer interface. I've worked at a country club as well as a Subway (inside of a Wal-mart) so I've seen a lot of different people and had to deal with a lot of different situations. I think rather than just Concession work Food Service would be a better fit for the title of this blog.

Heather said...

You and I seem similar because I was a bit shy before I started working concessions as well. I'm glad that you were able to break out of your shell and become the person I have grown to know today.